s h a r m a n k a d i s h . c o m
Updates & Errata - Jewish Heritage in Britain and Ireland Liverpool Princes Road Synagogue © Ruth Baumberg

Updates & Errata - Jewish Heritage in Britain and Ireland

Jewish Heritage in England: An Architectural Guide (Swindon, English Heritage, 2006)

Errata in this book were corrected in the updated edition, published as:

Jewish Heritage in Britain and Ireland: An Architectural Guide (2nd ed., Swindon, Historic England, 2015)

[last updated 2023-12-28]


pp. 5-8: Bevis Marks Synagogue
Add: In 2021 awarded £497,000 for the creation of a heritage centre.

pp. 18-19 Whitechapel:
Add Site:
Jews' Temporary Shelter, 63 Mansell Street (Digby Lewis Solomon, 1929-30)
The purpose-built successor hostel to Leman Street is extant.
Acknowledgements - Survey of London: Whitechapel (Paul Mellon Centre for British Art for the Bartlett School of Architecture), vol. 55, pp. 602-3

pp. 19-20: Former Fieldgate Street Synagogue
William Whiddington, 1898-99
Add: The building has been acquired by the adjacent East London Mosque

p. 21: Bernhard Baron Settlement
Architects - Should read: Hobden & Porri, 1929.

pp. 29, 50: Manuel Nunes Castello
Not Costello. The name of this architect is spelt correctly in the 1st edn (2006) and in The Synagogues of Britain and Ireland (Yale, 2011).

p. 33 Alderney Road Jewish Cemetery
Add postcode: E1 4EQ

pp. 34-35: Hackney Jewish Cemetery (Lauriston Road)
Add: Grade II (2021)

pp. 35-36: The New Synagogue, Stamford Hill
Add: The emblem of the State of Israel featured on the window on the rear (north) wall of the gallery has been removed.

p. 39: West London Reform Cemetery (Kingsbury Road/Balls Pond Road)
Add: Grade II (2020)

p. 57: Brondesbury Park Synagogue
Add: Hall Architects Shaw & Lloyd.

p. 61: Western Marble Arch Synagogue
The street, largely an original 1790s crescent, has been renamed and renumbered. The postal address of the synagogue is now 1 Wallenberg Place, London, W1H 7TN. A monument depicting Raoul Wallenberg (1912-1947?), architect and Swedish diplomat based in Budapest, who rescued Jews during the Nazi Holocaust, is situated on the green directly in front of the synagogue. The Grade II Listing of the crescent covers the modern synagogue infill and its interior, thus making it one of only three postwar Grade II Listed synagogues in the country (the others being Carmel College and Belfast).

pp. 63-64: Willesden Jewish Cemetery
Parks & Gardens Register Grade II (2017)
Grade II: Ohel complex (N.S. Joseph 1873), War Memorial (Ralph Hobday 1961), Rothschild/Rosebury Enclosure (ca. 1890), tombs of Max Eberstadt (Edward Burne-Jones 1891) and Rosalind Franklin (1958). [Design for the Gravestone of Max Eberstadt at Aberdeen Art Gallery & Museum Collections; no longer accessible online as at 2028-12-28].

The original twelve acres were purchased from All Souls College, Oxford, in 1872. The cemetery has four distinct sections: the Old Cemetery (1872-3), Front Lawns (1890), Southern Extension (1906) and Pound Lane Field, acquired 1926 (1943, excluded from the Listing). The entrance and Queen Anne Revival Caretaker’s Lodge is by Lewis Solomon & Son 1909-10. Memorials associated with art and architecture to be found at Willesden include: the painter Mark Gertler, who committed suicide in 1939; the father and son dealers Duveen, and one designed by the architect Basil Ionides. A plant nursery with greenhouses was situated along the west wall of the Southern Extension until the Second World War. The white marble Rothschild/Rosebury Enclosure was bombed and the roof destroyed. After the war the Imperial War Graves Commission established an enclosure in the Front Lawns. The 1961 Portland stone cenotaph is claimed to be the first national Jewish war memorial to be erected in the United Kingdom.

Between 2015 and 2021, the grounds underwent conservation, the buildings were renovated and the Caretaker’s Lodge was turned into a Visitor Centre for the “House of Life” project, with £1.7 million support from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Access: The site now offers regular opening times and tours. Refer to the website for up-to-date information.

Acknowledgements to Nicky Smith of Historic England and to Charles Tucker, Consultant Archivist to the Chief Rabbi’s Office
See also the following websites: Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Imperial War Museum and War Memorials Online

p. 64: Liberal Jewish Cemetery
War Memorial Grade II (2017)
A gateway in the boundary wall contiguous with Willesden Jewish Cemetery was opened in 1933, but was later blocked.

p. 65: Golders Green Synagogue
Add: Grade II (2007)

p. 65 col. 3 para. 2: The listing was in response to an application made for Immunity from Listing.

p. 67: Golders Green Jewish Cemetery
Postcode: NW11 7NJ
Grade II (2020):
Entrance gateway and Ohalim; Parks & Gardens Register - only the section by the entrance, in use from 1896-1915.

The graves in the Sephardi Section face south and in the Reform Section the headstones face north. The Reform’s Columbarium against the south wall dates from the 1930s; a second was established in 2015. Cremations take place across the road in Golders Green Crematorium, the first in London, opened in 1902. Architect Henry David Davis (1839-1915) is buried in the Reform Section (whilst his partner Barrow Emanuel is at Kingsbury [Balls Pond Road]), as are the artists Barnett Freedman (d.1858) and Hans Feibusch (d.1998).

English Regions

p. 82: Margate Synagogue
Closed for worship in 2017. At the end of 2020 sale of the building by auction, organised by the London United Synagogue, was successfully thwarted by a local campaign for “Cliftonville Cultural Space”. An anonymous donor purchased the site for the project that has now attracted funding both locally and from the Architectural Heritage Fund. For progress since Covid see their website

p. 86: Elstree Liberal Synagogue
Full address: High Street, Elstree, Hertfordshire, WD6 3EY

p. 87: Reading Synagogue
Add: In 2017 the roof was renovated thanks to a grant of £94,800 from the Listed Places of Worship Repair Fund

p. 98: Brighton and Hove Reform (formerly New) Synagogue, Palmeira Avenue, Hove, East Sussex, BN3 3GE
Planned demolition and redevelopment that would incorporate the important stained glass by John Petts.

Meanwhile, Brighton and Hove Hebrew Congregation’s West Hove Synagogue (Orthodox) has been redeveloped (Sapphire Hove 2022) as Brighton Jewish Community centre and housing scheme at 29-31 New Church Road, Hove, BN3 4AD; included is a new synagogue (Teva Hesse of C.F.Moeller Architects 2023) and Mikveh (Rabbi Meir Posen).

pp. 98-99 Brighton, Florence Place Old Jewish Burial Ground
Only the Ohel and a lamppost outside are Grade II Listed.

pp. 99-100 Bournemouth Hebrew Congregation, Wootton Gardens, BH1 1PW
The building was finally Listed Grade II in January 2019. The whole site was put up for sale in 2023.

p. 105 Southampton
A Mediaeval Jewish Heritage Trail has been developed in neighbouring Winchester and a statue (an imaginary representation) of Licoricia (Ian Rank-Broadley 2022), a 13th century prominent woman Jewish moneylender and her son Asher, has been erected at Jewry Street in the town centre. Leaflets available from https://licoricia.org/

p. 116 Plymouth Hoe Old Jews' Burial Ground
Grade II (2017)

p. 118 Falmouth Jews' Burial Ground
change of address to: A39 Falmouth Road, Penryn, Ponsharden, TR10 8AB [postcode of nearby Lidl store]
and see https://ponsharden.falculture.org/

pp. 120-1 Bristol Synagogue
The earlier Temple Street Synagogue (1786) was a converted building.

pp. 134-5 Norwich City Cemetery, Bowthorpe Road
Officially known as Earlham Cemetery.

p. 137 Great Yarmouth, Caister Cemetery, Jewish Section
Was opened in 1929.

p. 150 Brandwood End Cemetery, Jewish Section
P & G Grade II

p. 150 Coventry Synagogue
Postal Address: 32, Gloucester Street, CV1 3BZ

p. 151 London Road Cemetery, Jewish Section
The disused red-brick ohel is dated 1933

p. 154 Oxford Jewish Congregation
A new Ark, designed and made by Robin Furlong, was installed in 2018, thanks largely to donations from 17 Oxford colleges, local churches and Buddhists.

p. 155 Leicester, Jewry Wall
Is a Scheduled Ancient Monument (SAM)

pp. 156-7 Leicester Synagogue
Leicester Jewish Heritage Centre was opened on site in 2022, the culmination of work funded by a £1,157, 000 National Heritage Lottery Fund grant (2018). A new foyer has been created (Stephen George + Partners LLP (SGP)). The synagogue and schoolroom have been conserved, the integral Mikveh refurbished, a guidebook published, a video produced and an exhibition mounted. See Leicester Mercury, 22 July 2022

pp. 157-8 Leicester, Gilroes Jewish Cemetery
"Lives Behind the Stones" recording and documentation project, supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, 2013-2014. See (new web address) https://jewish-gilroes.org.uk

p. 158 Nottingham, North Sherwood Street Jews' Burial Ground, NG1 4EN
Grade II (2018)

p. 159 Coventry, London Road Cemetery, Jewish Section
The Ohel was built in 1933.
Acknowledgements: Martin Rispin, former Coventry City Council Conservation Officer.

p. 160 Liverpool, Galkoff’s Kosher Butcher’s Shop
The ceramic shop front was put on display at Liverpool Museum in 2018

p. 161 St Anne’s Synagogue
The architect was Maxwell Caplin.

p. 166 Former Liverpool Hebrew Schools
"... Liverpool King David Primary & High Schools, ..."

pp. 173-5 Manchester Jewish Museum
Reopened 2021 after a redevelopment project that created a Museum extension (Katy Marks of Citizens Design Bureau) and new displays. See the review by Sharman Kadish in Art and Christianity (Issue 107 Autumn 2021).

p. 179 Manchester, Cheetham Heritage Trail
The image on the left is of the Jacob Cohen Warehouse at 39 Derby Street, Cheetham, Manchester

p. 180 Manchester Talmud Torah School
The foundation stones have been painted over

p. 182 Philips Park Cemetery, Jewish Section, col.2:
Should read: "Dissenters"' section.
Note new website for Friends of Philip Park Cemetery

pp. 183-4 Manchester, Higher Crumpsall Synagogue
The site was sold in 2017-18. The caretaker’s house and communal hall at the rear have been separated off and lavishly refurbished as the premises of Sha’arei Chaim Yeshivah. The Grade II Listed synagogue is under-utilised and the building itself looks increasingly neglected. It remains on the Heritage At Risk Register (2023).

p. 188 Manchester, Withington Congregation of Spanish & Portuguese Jews
This synagogue remains on the Heritage At Risk Register (2023). The buildings in Withington may be sold.

The new Sephardi Synagogue in Hale Barnes, at 24 Wicker Lane, Cheshire, WA15 0HQ (Mike Ashworth of MRA Architects) incorporates the two stained glass windows from the Sha’are Tsedek Synagogue in Old Lansdowne Road [see 1st ed. (2006) pp. 155-6].

pp. 190-1 Manchester, Urmston Jewish Cemetery, Chapel Grove, M41 9BB
Grade II Listed (2016), War Memorial only (Abraham Lesser Carliph 1919)

pp. 192-3 Blackpool Synagogue
In 2019 the synagogue itself was sold on to a private Jewish developer for £100,000.

p. 195 Southport Cemetery
Should read: Jewish Sections

p. 199 Leeds United Hebrew Congregation (Shadwell Lane)
The Ark in the Bet HaMidrash is reproduction, reminiscent of the original Ark at Belgrave Street.

p. 205, col.1: Leeds Hasidic Synagogue
The Hebrew name of the former Psalms of David Synagogue should read: Hevra Tehillim

p. 206, col.3: Leeds Great Synagogue, Belgrave Street
The architects were Perkins & Brockhouse 1860-1.

p. 210 Horatio Bright Mausoleum
The structure was believed still to be extant in 2019 in a private garden at Moscar Cross Cottages, Sheffield, S6 6GL.

pp. 221-3 Sunderland Synagogue
The schoolroom next door has been converted into two private houses by the owner, a builder who lives next door. The synagogue itself remains redundant and is deteriorating. A Site At Risk (2023).
"... Sunderland Synagogue was sold in 2009 ..."

p. 224 and Preface p. xiii: Former Sunderland Beth HaMedrash
This new entry in the Second Edition is incorrect and shows the wrong building! For accurate information see entry on Sunderland Mivkeh in 1st ed. (2006) p. 186.

The building at 3 Villiers Street (shown) was used at one time as a Heder (Jewish religious school) for boys.

It has now been established that the purpose-built Beth HaMedrash was located, as was originally thought, in Villiers Street South (between Borough Road and Hudson Road). The Beth HaMedrash occupied a plot on the west side, one building removed from the corner with Hudson Road. It was a red brick building with a double gable. It was opened in 1899 and had been demolished by 1980. The only known photograph, which was taken when the building was up for sale, is available on the jewishgen website Sunderland page (about half-way down). Acknowledgements to Stephen Levey for identifying the correct building.

p. 228 Hazlerigg Jewish Cemetery
Full Postcode: NE13 7AS

p. 229 Gateshead Synagogue
A new synagogue complex has been constructed behind the original building (Kevin Doonan 2023). It is understood that the old building is still in use (2023).

p. 230 South Shields Synagogue
The original project was completed by architects J.A. Page & Son in 1932-3

pp. 230-1 Whitley Bay Synagogue
LOCATION - Near corner with Park Avenue

p. 232 Bishop Auckland (Town) Cemetery
South Church Road, DL14 7NA (2019). Delete subsequent reference to Asda Superstore.


pp. 237-8 Glasgow, Garnethill Synagogue
A Scottish Jewish Heritage Centre was opened at the site in 2022 thanks to over £800,000 of grant funding, including a National Lottery Fund grant of £296,900 (2018). During redevelopment of the basement in 2022, the disused mikveh was unearthed in the boiler room and is being preserved. Project architects: John Gilbert Architects (Glasgow). For opening times, guided tours and shop, see https://sjhc.org.uk.

pp. 239-40 Glasgow, Langside Synagogue
The building was sold to developers late in 2019 and was slated for demolition. The Ark was salvaged, dismantled and shipped to Merthyr for display in the planned Welsh Jewish Heritage Centre (see below). The fate of the carved clock has not been established.

p. 246 Dundee Eastern Cemetery, Jewish Section
The plot was acquired in 1888 [typo].

p. 247 Sandwick Old Cemetery, SS Norge Memorial
Caption should read: Courtesy of Stornoway Historical Society [typo].


p. 251 Merthyr Tydfil Synagogue
The architect has been identified as Charles Taylor (fl. 1867-1919). Acknowledgements to Dr Chris Clifford for his research (2019) in the Merthyr Telegraph.

The building was purchased in 2021 by the Foundation for Jewish Heritage and is being restored as a Welsh Jewish Heritage Centre, with the help of grants totalling over £1 million from inter alia the National Heritage Lottery Fund, CADW, RCAHMW, the Welsh Government (Transforming Towns Programme), Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council and the Architectural Heritage Fund. See also https://jewishheritage.wales/. A little-known painting of the building by the Salford artist L.S. Lowry surfaced and was sold at auction in 2022.

p. 254 Tredegar Synagogue
The Picton Street Synagogue was never completed due to a shortage of funds. The building was consecrated as a United Reformed Church in 1882. The Jewish congregation was based at the old Queen Street workhouse site from 1882 to 1901, when they moved to 14A Morgan Street. Morgan Street may have been purpose-built (a single photograph in Tredegar Archives reveals pointed windows); architect not identified. It was demolished in 1953.
Acknowledgements to Geoff Hodnett of the Tredegar History and Archive Society, January 2018.

p. 255 col. 3: Cardiff, Highfield Road Old Jewish Cemetery
The Reform Section (1949) is inside the eastern section of Cardiff Western Cemetery, Cowbridge Road West, Ely, CF5 5TG. The successor Orthodox Cardiff New Jewish Cemetery (1968) is at Greenfarm Road, Ely, CF5 4RJ.


pp. 261-2 Belfast Hebrew Congregation, Somerton Road
Eugene Rosenberg 1961-4, Grade II (2015). This influential 1960s circular synagogue with an hexagonal, star-shaped ceiling, is only the third post-Second World War synagogue to be Listed in the UK. The others are Carmel College Synagogue (former) and Marble Arch Synagogue.

p. 267 Cork Synagogue
The synagogue at 10 South Terrace was rebuilt in 1913–1915 (foundation 2 February 1913, consecration 26 March 1915).
Sources: Irish Builder 15 February 1913, p. 115; Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720-1940 online at https://www.dia.ie/
There was a 'Private Jewish Bath', i.e. a mikveh, in Cork’s Turkish Baths, 30 South Mall, 1891-1957, also designed by Arthur Hill.
Source: Victorian Turkish Baths (Cork). Acknowledgements to Malcolm Shifrin


p. 274 Note 7
The King's School, CT1 2EZ